We conduct workshops for writers in the workplace to enhance communication among staff, supervisors and clients. We coach writers to begin or complete their own projects. We can compose original content and edit drafts for you. We supply enrichment to accomplished students and support to those who are struggling. We consider work of any length and scope, from diminutive (letters) to grand (book series).
Inquire about an initial consultation to discuss any project and to estimate fees. Because we aim to make writers more confident, we offer packages of our services that include instruction, editing, revision advice, face-to-face consults and email Q+A. Case studies of recent consultations illustrate our range:
Project: A professor needs an outside reader to evaluate how well a revised article meets criteria in reviewers’ comments from a prestigious journal in his field.
- Consultation Seetch interviews the author, reads and outlines the article, and studies the reviewers’ comments. To address concerns about prose style, Seetch introduces author to a system for making sentences more concise and fluent.
- Result Author resubmits revised article which is accepted for publication.
Project: A young professional several years out of college decides to apply to graduate programs and seeks advice on assembling her application.
- Consultation A series of interviews and email exchanges addresses
1) which writing samples to edit and include in the application
2) how to organize and emphasize key issues in the cover letter to each school
3) which mentors will write the most effective recommendations
4) how to express the need for financial aid.
- Result Client is admitted to several schools and enrolls at her top preference after negotiating a financial aid package she can live with.
Project: Drafting college application essays, a talented high school senior struggles to articulate the specific value of study abroad experience in light of September 11.
- Consultation Providing the student occasion to write in her own words without censoring complex reactions, coaching sessions produce a first draft. Student revises to create different versions of the essay that meet different colleges’ criteria.
- Result Student is admitted to her top five preferred schools and gains writing confidence that carries over into college.
Project: After conducting three days of multimedia training for personnel in three countries, client faces imminent deadline to submit report of recommendations to multinational corporation.
- Consultation To guarantee efficient progress, client and consultant agree to a schedule of drafting, revision and editing enhanced by regular email and telephone contact.
- Result Client composes and revises as consultant edits final document, saving time for client’s other responsibilities. Concise, fluid prose submitted ahead of corporate deadline.
Project: A growing local business has a website whose text hasn’t kept pace with the firm’s expansion. No in-house staff have time to write new content or revise the old.
- Consultation Interviews with owner and key employees lead to a plan for consultant to revamp text on the website without changing its graphics or format. Grammar, spelling and typos identified will be corrected.
- Result Old text is deleted or updated; new text reflects current business plan. Website language becomes error-free, easy to navigate, and guarantees prospective clients will see the business’s recent successes.
Project: A high school student needs to compose and polish applications for summer creative writing programs. Deadlines are only a few weeks away.
- Consultation Hours of online coaching enable the student to revise poetry, fiction, and application essays into polished application materials. Several face-to-face meetings build confidence and ensure that the student comprehends the detailed requirements of each application.
- Result Student is admitted to her first choice program and remains enthusiastic about the creative process.
Project: For a family party commemorating their parents’ fiftieth wedding anniversary, siblings compose a family history. They need a shorter version to publish in the program for the event.
- Consultation After reviewing the family history and communicating with family members, Seetch reaches an agreement about how to shorten the history for this occasion.
- Result Besides the brief family history that appears in the program, Seetch adds family anecdotes to the exhibit of photos for the event and creates a word search puzzle using words and names that are special to the family.
Project: A local non-profit seeks professional art and literacy programming for adolescents and adults.
- Consultation After sitting in with a visual arts collaborator to become acquainted with agency staff and clients, we offer an 8-week sequence of workshops culminating in the production of an illustrated full-color booklet for which each participant creates several pages.
- Result Agency has concrete evidence of skills acquired and talents developed among its clients while workshop students take home the same results.